How do I get my boyfriend or girlfriend legalized in the U.S.?
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Green Cards
  4.  » How do I get my boyfriend or girlfriend legalized in the U.S.?

How do I get my boyfriend or girlfriend legalized in the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Sep 8, 2021 | Green Cards

When you’re in a relationship, you want to be close to the person you love. It can be difficult to do if you’re from two different places.

Depending on the country your partner is from, they may not be able to come to the United States easily. There are options, though, for most people.

Visiting is less difficult than permanently residing in the United States

To start with, visiting the U.S. is easier than residing in the United States. You could have your boyfriend or girlfriend opt for an ESTA for the United States first. An ESTA visa waiver is available to certain people from different eligible countries such as the United Kingdom or Australia. ESTAs are valid for two years and allow a person to stay in the United States for up to 90 days consecutively.

With an ESTA, your boyfriend or girlfriend can come in and out of the United States multiple times for tourism or business. Each time they come, they can stay a maximum of 90 days. This doesn’t require a normal visa application if your boyfriend or girlfriend is from a waiver country.

Staying in the United States on a temporary visa

If the ESTA isn’t an option for you, you may want to look into a B2 visa. This is a nonimmigrant temporary visa that allows visitors to enter the United States for travel or pleasure. You cannot work on this visa, but it may last between three months and 10 years.

Consider a fiancé visa

If you want to take your relationship to the next level, a fiancé visa may be a better choice. This is for any U.S. citizen wishing to bring a foreign fiancé(e) to the United States. Form I-129F, which is the Petition For Alien Fiancé(e) document, can be used to petition for the K-1 visa.

These are a few options that may help you bring your boyfriend or girlfriend to the United States for a while, if not permanently. You may want to look into other visa options as well since there are a variety of visas for different scenarios.