U-Visas and VAWA
  1. Home
  2.  » U-Visas and VAWA

Are You Eligible For a U-Visa Or A Green Card Through VAWA?

The U.S. Congress passed the 1994 Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) with provisions to protect battered immigrant women from deportation. VAWA also applies for men who meet the criteria. VAWA allows both male and females who are not U.S. citizens to petition for cancellation of deportation orders when they have suffered domestic violence, namely, battery or extreme cruelty committed by:

  • A U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse;
  • A U.S. citizen parent;
  • A U.S. citizen son or daughter;
  • A lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouse or former spouse; or
  • An LPR parent.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and have suffered from domestic violence by a U.S. citizen, you (and your minor children) may petition for a green card on your own without your abusive family member’s knowledge or assistance.

In 2000, another form of relief, the U-Visa, was created to help immigrant victims of mental and physical abuse. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) explains that a U-Visa is “set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse…[Its creation was part of] the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act,[which]was intended to strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute cases of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking of aliens and other crimes, while also protecting victims of crimes who … are willing to help law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity.”

Whether you seek a U-Visa or a green card under VAWA, it is important to know that you are not alone. These powerful legal immigration tools can offer you a fresh chance to live in peace in the U.S. after surviving a violent crime. You can get out from under the control of an abusive U.S.-citizen family member without losing your opportunity for a green card. You can find information about these avenues of relief on the USCIS website, but Fuerza Immigration Lawyers strongly recommends that you seek the guidance of an experienced immigration law attorney.

We Care About VAWA And U-Visas Because We Care About You

We have devoted a page on our website to this topic because we are passionate about offering hope through immigration laws. Each of our attorneys entered the practice of immigration law because we believed in helping others achieve the American dream. If you are being abused, it is not your fault and please know you are not alone. Our attorneys have represented hundreds of domestic violence survivors to escape abuse.

We welcome the opportunity to explain how you can find a new direction with a U-Visa or a self-petitioned green card through VAWA’s provisions. We want to make sure you succeed, without errors or delays. This is why we advise people in this situation to work with a lawyer who understands this area of the law. We are here to streamline the process of applying for a U-Visa or a green card with maximum chances of being approved.

Reach Out Without Hesitation

We are available. How can we help you right now? Call 510-834-1288 or contact us through this website to schedule a consultation at our Oakland offices or remotely. We assist clients throughout the San Francisco Bay area, statewide in California and in other areas of the U.S.